Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ella is not the only Scaredy Cat

I must admit that I am a total scaredy cat, too! That is, to go back to work. I was tentaively supposed to start back tomorrow on Sept. 2nd, but there was a delay in receiving my malpractice/liability insurance, so it looks like it will be another month before we can get patients on the books. Fine with me, I say :) Is this the best job opportunity for me, I'm not sure. I feel like Scott and I are mutually using and abusing each other for our own personal benefits, but in the long run, it should work out. The situation is as follows.......he has had this practice on Beach Blvd for the past 6 or so years. It is high end on the inside, he has a great reputation, he practices high end, fee for service dentistry, but the kicker is that it's in a Big Lots shopping center....and if you're trying to sell high end dentistry, Big Lots shoppers might not be your best clientele. He's been searching for new office space for a while and has landed a large frontage building in Ponte Vedra, perfect! All he has to do is find the idiot schmo who will keep his old practice floating while he is making this transition. Insert me, the schmo, who has signed the contract that isn't really paying me what I want, that limits the materials I use and the labs I use, makes me pay part of my own lab bills, to work in an office that is totally built for a righty and I'm lefty, and basically states that I will be seeing insurance only patients while he continues to build his fee for service "client" pool. Heaven forbid he call a client a patient :) Why did I sign this dotted line, you ask? Well, he's a really great dentist and he has a REALLY great team. All people that I can learn a great deal from. He was trained at LVI in Vegas, practices nueromuscular dentistry, and is thorough. His new patient exams are extensive, so different from the way we practiced in the Navy. He is enjoying taking the "mentor" role, or as it seems, and I'm in search of a mentor. It has been a long time since I've talked the talk and walked the walk and I am desperately looking for someone to hold my hand during this process. So, if he's willing to take a chance on a girl who hasn't touched a patient in almost 5 years, then I'm willing to compromise a little to0. Once I get my speed and confidence back, I'll be sure to make amendments to that contract, but until then, I just need to get my foot in the door. My wonderful husband volunteered himself the other day to be my guinea pig and let me numb him up! He was the last patient I saw (replacing a filling) before Ella was born and he was my first as we embark on this new adventure!!! I must say that I hit all the nerve blocks first attempt and was unusually not nervous, so that's a good sign. I've been working on the old mannequins from dental school to get my hands moving. Just brushing off the dust and I should be ready to go! Anyone need a dentist??
My massage therapist said that a lot of my tension and pain is most likely from stress. I would never consider myself a stressful person, but when we take a step back and appreciate all that we are going through with going back to work, finding a nanny, Chris building a new office, my chronic pain, back to school, etc. , it's no wonder we both wake up in the morning with our teeth clenched!!!

No comments: