Saturday, July 5, 2008

SoCal SoCool!!!!!!!!!!

We have arrived 'home sweet home' after 14 days of travel!!!! What a fun Vacation! We spent our first week in San Diego with Shannon, Macy, Emery, Cooper, and Morty (their dog!). They all were incredible hosts....Shannon had planned each day choc' full of fun activities. Somehow she managed to always have the picnic basket filled, car packed with necessary accouterments, and kids dressed complete with shoes and bows, long before I could even get myself ready........did I mention all while her hubby happens to be on a 6 month deployment in the middle east?! Macy, Emmy, and Coops did such a great job sharing all of their toys and their Casita with Ella and Audrey. They played so well together that I told Shannon this was the least amount of time I've spent with my kids in forever because they were always off playing independently! I was so happy to actually get to know each of her little ones.... with their own precious, yet distinct personalities! I've posted way too many pictures, so here goes!

Here is Ella enjoying her new headphones while watching Curious George and munching on goldfish. We lucked out on our leg from Atlanta to San Diego. With an extra seat, I moved Audrey into the car seat to nap and Ella got her own big girl seat! They loved going fast on the runway right before take off and the bumpy landings!




Upon arrival, we loaded the car with car seats and kids and were off to a little Italian restaurant to pick up fresh pizza dough for the night's dinner. Little did I know, that Shannon was an expert at tossing dough! We tried to make everyone nap after we got home from the airport, but there was too much excitement, so we were off to the park. The time change gave us many more hours of daylight.......and surprisingly the girls did great! We were up early the first few mornings, but not too bad.....and there was no problem staying up late:) Here are Macy, Ella, and Emmy riding bikes to the park. Audrey and Cooper followed in the double stroller!
Macy climbs the fireman's pole! So strong!
Ella and Mace take a break in the sandy shade! They were fast friends!

Here's Aunt Shannon tossing the dough like a pro! Each little one had fun playing with their own piece of dough while we made the pizza!
Audrey and Mommy sauce it up!
On Friday morning, we were off to Legoland. Ella didn't know what to expect and asked if Mickey Mouse was going to be there after she realized that it was an 'amusement park".

Breakfast on the patio!
The lego lady and lego baby!Shannon and Emmy ride the helicopter!
Ella and Emmy put the pedal to the metal on the kids race track. They actually let 3 year olds have complete control with pedals and steering! And they got their own driver's license in the end. We did have to do some convincing (white lie) to get them to let Emmy drive because she isn't quite three. Getting toddler's to tell fibs probably isn't the best idea, as Macy quickly ratted her out!

In their suits, ready for the park's water fountains!The day sadly ended with a bee sting to Ella's right arm. We stopped by the useless first aid station and after failed attempts of removing the stinger, I took matters into my own hands, asked for a tweezer and we were out in no time! Here are Ella's friends lending moral support!
Saturday was a day to Mission Bay. MEMORIES!!!!!! It was so much fun to be back in the old stomping ground. Last time Shannon and I did this was 6 years ago and less 5 kids!

Coopers loves the beach! Emery hard at play!

Getting as sandy as possible!
Getting my fill of baby boy!!!

Audrey and Cooper, the future Mr. and Mrs. On Sunday, Shannon's babysitter was challenged with all 5 kids for a few hours. YIKES! We left the house at 8:30 am for breakfast in Pacific Beach, a little shopping, and a long walk of Mission Bay. It was so nice to catch up (uninterrupted!), always wishing we didn't live so far away! Another walk down memory lane was Sunday's concert in the park on Coronado Island. The Marine Corps Bands happened to be playing, so we honored our troops with some dancing (by the kids), wine, and cheese! As usual, Shansh had the spread and red wagon packed for the evening adventure. I got to meet all of Shannon's friends and we had a blast! Look at us now...... Hard to believe!



Macy and Emmy posing for the camera!
Dancing and playing with streamers! Hours of entertainment.
The following day, we were off to a new park! Here they are climbing the spider web in their matchy dresses.
Macy and Ella swinging.
And a trip wouldn't be complete without a visit to California's finest, the In and Out Burger. We all dined on burgers, fries, and shakes!
We had a pool day and more park play. The day before we moved on, Shannon and I escaped again for a dinner in Del Mar to celebrate our birthday's!! After a week of invasion, Ella, Audrey, and I packed up Shannon's car (thanks, we're so gracious!) to drive 75 miles north to Corona del Mar where Mama B and Harry live. Another fabulous vacation! Mama B was prepared with pool toys and all the goodies for the ladies! Here is a pic of the awesome view of the pacific ocean from Papa Harry's deck! When the summer fog cleared, we could even see Catalina Island in the distance! After a week with 5 kids 4 and under (a tad bit tiring:), I completely let go and even napped a few of the days. We spent a lot of time in the pool, did some shopping, went the beach and enjoyed the AMAZING weather. I had only been to that area once before (briefly) in 2002. Corona del Mar is such a cute coastal town! I could definitely get used that lifestyle! Mom showed us around, as much as the girls would allow. We actually had her neighbor's nanny babysit one day, while Mom and I toured around and had appies and drinks at the Tommy Bahama restaurant. Loving the Popsicle!
Ella is admiring the garden!
A day at the beach at Canyon Cove State Park. Audrey was fond of Mama B's hat!
At Fashion Island Mall, where else?!?!?!


Me and my mommy!
Audrey in the Garden!
Playing by the pool!
Unfortunatley, my camera battery died while I was at mom's! Oh and my phone battery, so thanks to everyone for the bday calls that I couldn't return!!!! I did have a great birthday! 33 - what? How did that happen! We stood in line for the famous Sprinkles cupcakes! Well worth the wait. We went out to dinner at beautiful waterfront Italian Restaurant and just as they were bringing out the dessert, the girls reached meltdown status and we had to take it to go. It's never a good idea to leave for a nice dinner at 7:30 - that's bed time!!

I could not have asked for a better, more smooth sailing trip. On Tuesday we made our way back to SD for one last night before we ventured back east on Wednesday. Shannon and I did get in one traditional game of scrabble for old time's sake! I was so happy to have the opportunity to be with the Lindbloms' while Mike is away. Shannon has her hands full and she's doing a great job! The flight home was exhausting, no spare seats this time! We landed in Jax around 11 pm! As great as it was to travel and be with our friends and family, it was wonderful to be back in our own beds! The girls can attest to that as they slept in until 9 the next morning! Beautiful!
Now it's back to life and Daddy (oh, how he was missed!), getting our summer routine set, and hopefully getting back to the gym..... after 2 weeks of utter indulgence ! For a look at the complete album, check out
http://picasaweb.google.com/jhgeric/CaliforniaSummer2008
Once again, Thanks to our hosts!







2 comments:

lib said...

Wow, what a great trip you all had. Shannon looks great. This is a hard time for her with Mike being deployed. BUT, she will continue to do well. One day at a time..well, perhaps one hour at a time, or better yet, one moment at a time. It's hard for Mike too. Knowing that you and the girls were there visiting, all having a good time must make him very, very happy. The photos are fabulous and I know he will enjoy each and every one of them.

Could you have done any more....I don't think so!! WOW, lots of fun, lots of new adventures for Ella and Audrey. Our granddaughters are quite cute!!!

Glad all your travels went well. Looking forward to seeing you all in a couple of weeks.

Take care...welcome home.

Lydia said...

Jen, what an awesome trip! Congrats on your great travel skills and happy belated birthday. Love you all!