Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Making friends.....

Since Audrey was 12 months, her vocabulary soared above the norm. I remember her pediatrician writing the word "gifted" in her record and smiled inside, like any parent would. Here we are a year and a half later and she seems even more verbally and emotionally advanced when it comes to her peers, but almost to a disadvantage. She wants NOTHING to do with children her own age. She refuses to play with them or acknowledge them. At the mom's morning out program that she goes to, her teachers say that she often chooses to sit at the table by herself and do her own thing instead of getting involved. I don't know if it is because she is intimidated by the other children or what? It breaks my heart that she chooses to be by herself. When we go to playdates with kids from her class, she clings to me the entire time. She comes alive with Ella (naturally), but loves to play with Ella's friends, ALL of them. They talk to her, pretend with her, and play like her. The problem is that they are Ella's friends and Audrey's feelings are hurt tremendously when they run off. "Nobody will play with me", "They're not talking to me" she cries. And whenever I drop Ella off at a friend's house, Audrey assumes that we are going to stay and play, too. It's sad.
So, in efforts to help Audrey have a life of her own, I once again invited a friend from school to play today. Ella had a friend over, too. Audrey's behavior was so bizarre, it was almost uncomfortable. She hid, was actually rude to everyone, clung to me, and whined. Then when her friend left, she cheered up and teamed up with Ella and her buddy. I'm perplexed. I almost want to call it social awkwardness. Luckily, a friend of mine keeps me in my right mind and tells me that Audrey is just choosy with those she wants to hang out with. It's not awkward with everyone, just those she doesn't care to be around. Still, it weighs heavily on my mind, obviously enough for me to write about it today

2 comments:

lib said...

Oh, she will find her way....I believe that when she is comfortable with someone then she will find in that person a friend....and when she has that special friend she will shine....she is such a brilliant observer, listener, absorber, talker...she values her comfort zone...she is a very special girl that sees so much for one so young...all will be fine...she shines so brilliantly...she will have friends and before you know it....oh, they will text, cell phone, e-mail....hold on tight...

jhg said...

Thanks!!!